Welcome to Safe Kids Oregon!
April 3-9 2017 is National Window safety week. Did you know that, according to the Safe Kids Worldwide 2015 Report, window fall accounts for approximately 8 deaths and 3,300 injuries among children ages 5 and under each year?
At Safe Kids Oregon we want to remind all parents and caregivers to check their windows for safety.
Here are some tips to share:
- Always supervise children and keep their play area away from windows
- Keep windows closed and locked when children are present
- If windows are open, make sure children can’t reach them
- For a double-hung window on an upper floor, open the top sash for ventilation and keep the bottom sash closed
- Screens keep bugs out, but they do not keep children in
- Keep furniture away from windows as they could tempt a curious child to climb and potentially fall
- If there are young children in the home, install ASTM-approved limited-opening hardware, which only allows a window to open a few inches
Safe Kids Oregon works to prevent unintentional childhood injury, the number one cause of death for children in the United States. Safe Kids Oregon is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to preventing unintentional injury. Safe Kids Oregon was founded in 1995 and is proudly led by Oregon Child Development Coalition.