In the U.S., about 3,300 children under the age of 6 fall from windows every year with 70% falling from second or third story windows. In Oregon, about 50 children ages 0-5 fell from windows in 2009 and 2010. Since the Campaign to Stop Window Falls was launched, the numbers have decreased.
Help spread this important message because the majority of window falls occur between May and September, typically during warmer weather when windows are open for cooling and ventilation.
Join the Campaign to Stop Window Falls. Visit Stop at 4.
Window falls are predictable, therefore preventable. The Stop at 4 website has information on what families can do to prevent child window falls, where families can find information on the types of window stop, lock or guard for their particular windows, and where educators can learn about the issue and spread this injury prevention message.
Window Fall Prevention Tips from Safe Kids Oregon
Install Window Stops and Guards
- Screens are meant to keep bugs out, not children in.
- Install window stops to windows you want to open no more than four inches.
- For windows you want to open more than 4 inches, properly install window guards to prevent window falls.
Open Windows From the Top and Close After Use
- If you have windows that can open from both top and bottom, make a habit of opening just the top to prevent falls. Keep in mind that as kids grow, they may have enough strength, dexterity and curiosity to open the bottom window.
- Keep windows locked and closed when they are not being used.
Keep Kids From Climbing Near Windows
- For your crawlers and climbers, move chairs, cribs and other furniture away from windows to help prevent window falls.
Reminder: Never move a child who appears to be seriously injured after a fall – call 911 and let trained medical personnel move the child with proper precautions.
Safe Kids Oregon works to prevent unintentional childhood injury, the number one cause of death for children in the United States. Safe Kids Oregon is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to preventing unintentional injury. Safe Kids Oregon was founded in 1995 and is led by Oregon Public Health. Click here for information on other Injury Areas.